Posts Tagged ‘travel requirements’

Foreign Entry Requirements: A Couple Of Examples Of Unique Entry Requirements

Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010

Often traveling internationally requires certain passport requirements that are specific to the country that you’re visiting. There are no universal rules that cover entrance or re-entrance into a country, so, if you are traveling, you will have to find out exactly which countries require which items. A few of the more popular travel destinations are included in this article. All of these destinations require a passport in order to gain entrance into the country and re-entrance into the United States, with the exception of Mexico. Mexico, Canada, and other nearby countries allow you to use a passport card as opposed to having to purchase a complete passport.

There are specific criteria for whether or not you will need a visa in order to successfully gain entrance into the United Kingdom. The UK runs by a five-tier system in order to determine who needs to obtain these visas. Tier one covers “highly skilled” workers, such as scientists. This is the only tier that doesn’t require a sponsor. Tier two is for “skilled” workers, such as teachers and nurses, who have received a job offer from the United Kingdom. Tier three handles “low-skilled” workers, like construction workers, who are sent to the United Kingdom for a specific purpose, such as shortages or help for a specific project. Students are covered in Tier four, and Tier five are for temporary workers, such as traveling musical artists coming to play a concert. A sponsor is required for Tier two, three, four, and five. The type of sponsor depends on the tier. For example, if a student under tier four wants to come to the United Kingdom, he or she needs to be sponsored by an educational foundation within the United Kingdom. The tiers that deal with work-related visits require the sponsorship of a United Kingdom-based employer.

A trip to Mexico requires either a passport or a passport card; however, a passport card cannot be used for air travel. Minors traveling without adults are required to carry a written consent by their parents, featuring the names of both parents and the child, the name of the child’s fellow travelers, and the notarized signature of the parents. This letter needs to be an original, not a copy. It’s recommended that this letter also give a brief summary of the trip, including such things as travel dates, reason for travel, and destinations, and airlines. The child also needs to carry proof of parent-child relationship, such as a birth certificate. Tourist cards, similar to a visa, are issued only if you’re staying for more than 72 hours outside of the “border zone,” or areas within 30 kilometers of the border. The price for these cards is usually included in air fare.

In France, you will only need to acquire a visa if you are staying for more than 90 days. Your passport also needs to be valid for the next three months.

As you can see, some country’s passport requirements are stricter than others. Be sure to do thorough research plenty of time in advance to ensure that you have all the requirements ready for your trip before the travel date. As previously stated, you will need a passport for any air travel. Traveling has the opportunity to create unforgettable experiences and awesome memories, so don’t let the preparation scare you away. Get traveling!