Posts Tagged ‘passport requirements’

Passport Requirements – Information You Should Know

Thursday, November 10th, 2011

Purchasing a passport is not something that everyone considers. It is a mistake like a passport is great to get even if the individual never leaves the United States. It’s probably the most powerful personal identification documents that may ever be had and because of the length it takes to obtain one, it is best to have it just in case. Prior to visiting the local passport office, make sure you know the current passport requirements.

New Applicants

Any new applicant will have to make a personal appearance at a government United States passport office. There’s also a number of other situations that will need the individual to visit to the office in person. Children will usually need to be presented at the office as well as anyone that is trying to replace a lost or taken document will need to go to the passport office.

Necessary Forms

The one form that everybody needs to fill out would be the DS-11. Furthermore form, several other pieces of documents has to be presented in person. The key reason because of this would be that the passport agency should check ID and ensure the signature matches the docs which are presented. For this reason, don’t sign anything before you actually get to the passport office. The forms can be filled out, but nothing really should be signed until an agent is present.


Go to the appointment prepared with evidence of U.S. Citizenship. This is a essential part of the procedure and all of the documents will be given back to the owner. Several items can end up being used a proof of citizenship with a licensed or officially stamped birth certificate being the most common for first time participants. Some other appropriate paperwork features a certification of birth from a Consulate, a certificate of citizenship, or a naturalization certificate. Submitting a social security number is also a necessity.


Anyone that has received their passport laminated for protection must obtain a different one. This is completely forbidden and essentially makes the actual birth certificate inadequate. The agent must also have the ability to see the raised stamp on the birth certificate. In the event that seal of approval in not present, they’ll send you on their way to get another. Every thing will also have to get photocopied prior to arriving at the passport office.


A minor will always have to get their passport in person. All above documentation must be brought with them along with their parents. If the parents are divorced and sharing custody, they must both still be present. The only situations where only one parent need be present are when there is sole custody or a parent is deceased.

The mother and father should also have current ID with them. This can be another must have as the agent cannot process the documents for the minor without the parents checking out first. If the parents have a passport, this is the best piece of ID that they can use. On top of this documentation, two passport photos may also be necessary for each and every applicant.

Processing Explained

One of the reasons that getting a passport takes way too long is because of the all of the documents that are needed to get approved. Sometimes a certificate of a birth cannot be found and a new one must be ordered. It’s unlikely that current passport photos are lying around and this means another trip. However, as long as all U.S. passport requirements are met and the photos are current (within 6 months), everything should go smoothly at the USA passport office.

Passport Requirements – Documentation Required For The Application

Wednesday, August 24th, 2011

In order to meet the passport requirements set forth by the governing bodies, an individual needs to know what is required. Armed with the proper paperwork, the process will go much easier than if a person does not have it. Due to the state of world affairs in modern times, the necessity of having proper documentation when traveling abroad is more important than it has ever been before.

Birth Certificate

When applying for this type of travel documentation, a birth certificate is worth its weight in gold. Should a person be unable to obtain their certificate,they can use old passports in lieu of a certificate. In the event that the individual applying was not born in the US, they will need to obtain one of two documents, a certificate of Naturalization or a certificate of citizenship.

Letter Of Record

Should a person not have access to any previously used passports or their birth certificate, they can obtain a letter of record. The letter is issued by the state where the individual resides in and needs to be filled out completely. Along with the letter, information such as baptismal records, school records and any additional public recordings will be required.

DS-10 Form

It is important to gather documentation from the first five years of childhood to help prove citizenship. The documents must state the place of birth along with the date of the birth in order to provide adequate proof. If a person cannot produce any of this documentation, they can have an older relative with knowledge of the birth fill out a DS-10 form and have it notarized prior to submitting it. There are also forms for expedited U.S. passport applications.

If Born Outside US

Another scenario involves the individual being born outside of the US to one parent who has US citizenship. In this situation, a document supplied by a hospital in the state where the individual resides will need to be obtained. Within the form, the individual will add their name and date of birth along with recorded information pertaining the years that were searched for the birth certificate by the hospital.

The parent must also provide an affidavit which contains their place of residence in the US and overseas for the time prior to the birth. The same affidavit is required in the case of both parents being US citizens and having the child overseas. Along with the affidavit, a foreign birth certificate and a marriage license must also be provided at the same time.

Adopted Children

When it comes to an adopted child that has not yet reached the age of 18, the guardian or parent will need to accompany them. All parties must be US citizens in order to proceed with obtaining their cards and the parent/guardian must have full custody of the child. All adoption proceedings must be final as well or the process will not be completed.

US passport application requirements are set in place for a reason and that is to protect citizens of the United States. Travelling around the world in modern times has become a lot more dangerous than it was in previous years. So if a person is going to travel, making sure to keep money and documentation in a super secure area at all times is the best practice.

What You Need To Know About Quick Passports

Tuesday, March 1st, 2011

We live in a society where things move and change rapidly. And it’s no surprise therefore that we’d want to have everything on our hands quickly. If you can have something now, then why wait for it until the next minute? The same thing goes when you are applying for a passport nowadays. Today, you can already apply for one without having to wait that long. And in this article, we’ll show you how to apply for a Quick U.S. passport.

If you don’t need to travel within ten weeks, applying for routine passport processing would suit you just fine. However, if you don’t have ten weeks to spare, you have the option of getting the process expedited. Expedited passports are the recommended option by the US Department of State for those who need their passports to travel in less than ten weeks.

Expedited Pasports provide you the utmost speed when it comes to regular passport applications. Unlike the four to six week processing period in routine applications, you can have your passport ready in two to three weeks if you have it expedited. You can’t get much faster than that.

Having your application expedited doesn’t just save you time; it helps make the process convenient for you as well. You’ll be able to experience this convenience through the various options you have when it comes to applying for a passport. You have the option of applying for a passport online, and sending it through mail.

Because you’re reading this article, we’re sure that you want to have your passport processed quickly. And since you’re reading this on your computer, you have an Internet connection that will enable you to download the form from the US Department of State’s website. You can fill that form in on your computer and print it, or print it first then fill it in by hand. Obviously, this option is a lot faster than having to go through the nearest passport office just to obtain the forms you need.

Also, you can mail your passport application instead of sending it in person. To mail your application, make sure you clearly indicate the word ‘EXPEDITED’ outside the envelope. This will tell the passport office of your choice of passport processing.

Because of the speed and convenience that expedited passports provide you, you will have to pay a little extra for it. But the extra fee for expediting your application is offset by the fact that you’ll get your passport faster, and that you don’t have to do the legwork anymore just to apply. It’s a win-win situation for you and the passport agency.

So if you want to combine speed and convenience when it comes to applying for a passport, it definitely pays to take the Emergency US Passport option. Sure, it comes with an extra price, but it’s worth every penny that you spend on it. That’s how to apply for a United States Passport quickly and easily.

Foreign Entry Requirements: A Couple Of Examples Of Unique Entry Requirements

Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010

Often traveling internationally requires certain passport requirements that are specific to the country that you’re visiting. There are no universal rules that cover entrance or re-entrance into a country, so, if you are traveling, you will have to find out exactly which countries require which items. A few of the more popular travel destinations are included in this article. All of these destinations require a passport in order to gain entrance into the country and re-entrance into the United States, with the exception of Mexico. Mexico, Canada, and other nearby countries allow you to use a passport card as opposed to having to purchase a complete passport.

There are specific criteria for whether or not you will need a visa in order to successfully gain entrance into the United Kingdom. The UK runs by a five-tier system in order to determine who needs to obtain these visas. Tier one covers “highly skilled” workers, such as scientists. This is the only tier that doesn’t require a sponsor. Tier two is for “skilled” workers, such as teachers and nurses, who have received a job offer from the United Kingdom. Tier three handles “low-skilled” workers, like construction workers, who are sent to the United Kingdom for a specific purpose, such as shortages or help for a specific project. Students are covered in Tier four, and Tier five are for temporary workers, such as traveling musical artists coming to play a concert. A sponsor is required for Tier two, three, four, and five. The type of sponsor depends on the tier. For example, if a student under tier four wants to come to the United Kingdom, he or she needs to be sponsored by an educational foundation within the United Kingdom. The tiers that deal with work-related visits require the sponsorship of a United Kingdom-based employer.

A trip to Mexico requires either a passport or a passport card; however, a passport card cannot be used for air travel. Minors traveling without adults are required to carry a written consent by their parents, featuring the names of both parents and the child, the name of the child’s fellow travelers, and the notarized signature of the parents. This letter needs to be an original, not a copy. It’s recommended that this letter also give a brief summary of the trip, including such things as travel dates, reason for travel, and destinations, and airlines. The child also needs to carry proof of parent-child relationship, such as a birth certificate. Tourist cards, similar to a visa, are issued only if you’re staying for more than 72 hours outside of the “border zone,” or areas within 30 kilometers of the border. The price for these cards is usually included in air fare.

In France, you will only need to acquire a visa if you are staying for more than 90 days. Your passport also needs to be valid for the next three months.

As you can see, some country’s passport requirements are stricter than others. Be sure to do thorough research plenty of time in advance to ensure that you have all the requirements ready for your trip before the travel date. As previously stated, you will need a passport for any air travel. Traveling has the opportunity to create unforgettable experiences and awesome memories, so don’t let the preparation scare you away. Get traveling!

Passports And Child Support: What’s The Connection?

Friday, June 18th, 2010

Getting passports for children is becoming stricter, but, contrary to what you might think at first, this is a good thing. Child abductions by parents have been steadily increasing, along with the divorce rate between parents. In bitter custody battles, a passport can be used as a weapon of alienation from the other parent, which is never fair, for both the child and the other parent. This law was enacted to protect both parties involved. This also protects children whose parents refuse to pay child support and decide they want to indulge in a lavish vacation.

In Section 51.70 (a) (8) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations, it completely outlines how a parent owing more than $2500 in child support is not able to receive a passport. So many parents in the United States struggle with getting child support payments, so it’s no surprise that this is the number one reason that keeps people from getting passports. This law is a dramatic stride towards enforcing child support payments.

In order to rectify this situation, a parent who owes child support needs to contact the local county probation agency in order to arrange for payment. The State Child Support Enforcement Agency then reports to the The US Department of Health and Human Services with proof that an acceptable form of payment has been made. The Department of Health and Human Services then removes the name of the parent from the list of overdue payments, and the Department of State then gets an updated list. Passport services must also receive this list from the Department of Health and Human Services. Passport Services must then validate and verify the fact that the parent’s name has been removed. Only after all of this has been completed can a passport application be processed for the parent.

Many other laws exist that aim to help enforce safety when it comes to children getting passports. One of these is the Two Parent Consent Law. This law, enacted in 2008, requires that both parents give their consent when applying for a passport. The Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program, or CPIAP, is another service established to protect children. This program lets the parents or guardians know that a passport has been filed for their child before the passport is actually issued. The Office of Children’s Issues charges itself with providing information to foreign countries and creates programs and policies in order to track down parents who have abducted their child.

These programs, policies, and laws combine to create a powerful tool of justice against parents who are negligent of their children. Hopefully, other areas of American life can follow suit and find ways to further crack down on parents who refuse to support their children. Also, the parent who supports her child can rest easy that the neglectful parent won’t be able to skip town in order to head to Cancun with his new girlfriend. Because the parent won’t be able to obtain a United States passport, he will be forced to pay the child support he has been ignoring, down to every cent.