Posts Tagged ‘applying for a United States passport’

Information To Know When Applying For Your US Passport

Thursday, October 20th, 2011

You say you want an easy way to apply for a United States passport? Because you’re reading this, chances are you do. Now let us begin with the summary of how to easily apply, renew or replace United States passports: find out what you need to do. If you know what to do, you wouldn’t waste any of your time taking a hit-or-miss approach, thus saving you the hassle of going back and forth to the passport office.

To get the most out of the rule we just shared with you, we recommend you read further. That’s because we’ll share with you everything you need to know about getting a US passport. We don’t simply stop there, however. We’ll also show you how you can apply for a passport easily using very clear instructions.

Starting The Application

Let’s begin with the forms. Depending on the type of passport application you’re doing, there will be an appropriate form for each. There are several types of these forms, but for your convenience, let’s just talk about the ones that you’re likely to fill in. Let’s begin with the most basic form, the Form DS-11.

Let’s begin with the DS-11. This is probably the most basic passport application form. This is the form that’s filled in by anyone who’s applying for a passport for the first time. Because of that, practically every passport holder is familiar with this form. Also, this form is the one filled in by anyone who needs to make a personal appearance when applying for a passport.

Submitting Your Application

However, if you’re not required to appear in person to apply for a passport, you can send your application by mail. This is by far the best option you have if you’re after convenience. If you’re going to apply for a passport by mail, you’ll have to fill in the Form DS-82, or the Application for US Passport by Mail.

You’ll need to fill in another form should you lose your New Passport or if it is stolen from you. But before you request for a new passport, you need to report the loss of your passport before anything else. To report a lost or stolen passport, you’ll need to fill in the DS-64 form.

Available Options

You also have an option of sending the Form DS-64 along with your application for a new passport. What you need to do is to appear in person at the passport office, and then submit your DS-64 along with a DS-11? As you have already known earlier, the DS-11 is what you’ll fill in if you’re applying for a new passport.

Getting a Passport isn’t that difficult now, is it? The key here is to know what you want to accomplish and to be familiar with the type of form that you need to fill in to do that. Once you have sorted that out, you’ll realize how easy it can be to apply for a us passport, renew one, or even report a passport that you lost or that was stolen from you.

What You Should Know About Applying For A Passport

Monday, September 26th, 2011

When applying for a passport for the first time, the rules you must follow are very specific. The first time applicant must provide information and follow a procedure that is different from the process to renew an expired one. Rules will also vary based on the age of the applicant, especially those aged under the age of 16 and those aged 16 and 17 years old.

Apply In Person

Applicants must apply in person for their first one if they live in the United States. You must also apply in person if you are currently under age 16,received your original one before age 16, if it was issued more than 15 years ago or if it has been stolen, damaged or lost. You should also plan to apply in person if your name has legally changed and you cannot provide legal documentation of this change.

Child Passports

All minors from newborn to age 17 must have their own when traveling. If the minor child age 16 or 17 does not have their own photo identification, the parent or guardian will need to present their photo ID when applying. Written parental consent may also be required. This consent may be included as part of the application but if not, handwritten consent may be needed to complete the application.

Form DS-11

As an adult filling out your first application, you must apply in person. You will begin by filling out the necessary form known as DS-11. This form can be found on the Internet and filled out and printed or it can be filled out by hand. Do not sign the form until you apply and the agent asks you to sign it. You must provide your social security number to prevent any delays or potential denial of your application.

Proof Of Citizenship

You will also need to provide proof of United States citizenship. This may include a birth certificate that has been certified, certificate of citizenship or a naturalization certificate. Bring these items with you when you appear to file your application. If this is not your first application you may also use your old passport provided that it has not become damaged.

Valid ID

Valid identification such as a valid driver’s license or military ID card must be provided. In cases where a primary ID is not available, a combination of other items may be accepted. These items include a combination of a credit card, employee identification card, a social security card or a library card. A person that has known you for a minimum of two years can file form DS-71 on your behalf to verify your identity. This form, available only at a passport agency,must be filled out in the presence of one of the agents at the time the application is filed.


Payment of the processing fees will be due at the time of application. Application fees vary based on the age and type of application being filed. An execution fee must also be paid at this time along with any desired optional services such as expedited passport service.

Applying for a passport can be a lengthy process. If you know that will need one soon, you should apply as soon as possible to avoid paying extra fees to receive it quickly. Many locations offer passport services including local post offices.

Applying For A Passport – A Look At The Process Of Submitting Applications For Minors

Sunday, August 14th, 2011

Applying for a passport when the person is under the age of 16 makes them a minor and the process is a bit more involved than other applications. The reason for the additional steps is due to the additional documents that are needed to meet all of the requirements. The required documents are necessary for obtaining traveling papers for both minors and adults.

DS-11 Form

In order to start the process, the parent/guardian must first download and fill out a DS-11 form from the Internet. With the document in hand, they will need to collect additional documentation that will be required. The minor must accompany the adult to the office where the acceptance agent is located.  There are also forms for expedited passport services.

Birth Certificate

A birth certificate containing the full names of both birth parents will be required in order to begin the process. If the certificate cannot be located,parents/guardians can use old passports from the children instead. In the event there are no old passports or the birth certificate cannot be located,additional information such as postnatal records from the doctor who treated the child can be used.

Proof Of Citizenship

Upon collecting proof of US citizenship, the next step is to produce documentation from the parents/guardians. This is usually a form of photo identification such as a driver license or any other form of Identification and in some states, a secondary piece of ID is required as well. One copy of the requested identification has to be submitted per minor application.

Photo ID

It is very important not to bend the application or the photo identification paperwork, using a folder or manila envelope is the best choice. The paper needs to be 8 1/2 x 11 inches and the front and rear of identification is to be copied onto the paper. If additional space is required, additional paper can be used because the identification is only allowed on the front side of each piece of paper.

Secondary ID

When a credit card is used as a secondary piece of identification, a photo is not required for security reasons. Caregivers for the disabled can apply for passports on their behalf and will be required to submit the normal documentation along with their own identification. If a person takes on the role of an identifying witness, they will have to fill out an additional DS-71 form.

Child Passports

Anyone who is under the age of 16 and wants to apply for their overseas traveling documentation must be accompanied by a parent/guardian. Parents who have sole custody of their children will be required to supply the agent with additional documentation proving custody. There are times when a third party is in charge of obtaining child passports and in this case, they will need to supply a notarized affidavit from the parents/guardians giving consent.

Applying for a passport is a long process and if the proper documentation is not on hand the first time through, it can turn into an even longer process. The need for heightened security measures, especially when minors are involved, are there for good reasons. Upon turning the ripe old age of 16, the minor becomes an adult in the eyes of passports and can obtain one on their own without a parent present.

Applying For A Passport? Read These Tips

Saturday, March 12th, 2011

Walt Disney's Passport Application

If you really want to know the secret about applying for a passport easily, then you can actually sum it up in one simple rule. And this rule is all about knowing what to do even before you take the first step to applying for a passport. The reason for this is that when you know exactly what to do, you don’t waste your time taking false steps and starting all over again. Aside from just helping you save time, this rule also keeps you from getting frustrated about applying for a US passport.

So to make sure you get things right even at the beginning, we recommend you read this article in full. That’s because we’ll show you here what you exactly need to do to get a US passport. And we’re not just talking about simply getting it, but getting it easily.

Because applying for a passport begins with filling up a form, it’s appropriate we begin our discussion with forms used in passport applications. You must realize there are different forms used for different types of passport-related applications. Let’s first talk about the most basic form, the DS-11.

Let’s begin with the DS-11. This is probably the most basic passport application form. This is the form that’s filled in by anyone who’s applying for a passport for the first time. Because of that, practically every passport holder is familiar with this form. Also, this form is the one filled in by anyone who needs to make a personal appearance when applying for a passport.

What if you’re not required to appear in person for your passport application? Then you have the option of sending your application by mail. To do this, you’ll fill in a different form, Form DS-82. This is the form that you’ll need if you want a convenient way of sending your passport application to the passport office.

Meanwhile, should you lose your Passport Application, or if ever it’s stolen from you, you need to report it to the passport authorities first. And you’ll do this by sending them the Form DS-64. This form is otherwise known as the Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport.

Alternatively, you can apply for a replacement while reporting the loss of your passport. To do this, you will need to appear in person at the acceptance facility or passport agency and submit your Form DS-64 along with your DS-11. The DS-11 will serve as your application for a new passport.

Now that you’re familiar with some of the most basic forms used in Applying For A U.S. Passport, you’ll see that the process isn’t that complicated after all. All you need is the right knowledge to get you started. Because with this knowledge, you’ll no longer end up confused or clueless the next time you apply for a US passport. Best of all, you can download and fill in any of these forms online for an even more hassle-free Pass Port application. USA passport cards also need an application.

Montreal – A City Where The Culture Never Stops Flowing

Sunday, October 24th, 2010

In the Provence of Quebec there are many beautiful cities. Quebec City, the capital of Quebec is the policital center, while Montreal is the cultural center. Both are beautiful, but Montreal has a little more intrigue for those visiting on vacation. Of course, in order to visit on vacation, you will need a passport or passport card. This puts a lot of people off, but don’t let it frustrate you. Passport services have become available online, meaning you can do everything – apply for a passport card online, get your first time passport – all online.

Getting an American passport online almost seems to good to be true. Not only do these online services get you your passport or passport card by a definite date, they also provide the peace of mind of knowing that your passport will be in your hands by the time you need it. They can get you your passport or passport card anywhere from 24 hours to two weeks, and with this sort of next day passport service available, you never have to wait for months before you can start a trip.

Montreal is famous for the clean air and beautiful green parks located in the city. Bike riding and walking are of course popular ways to explore the parks, but often you will get an opportunity to try something new. For example, during the winter, you can ice skate on many of the lakes and during the summer, these lakes are popular for watersports like kayaking. Square Saint-Louis, Parc du Mont-Royal, and Parc Maisonneuve are some of the most visually stunning in all of Canada.

Festivals of all sorts are a big part of Montreal culture. The Just For Laughs Festival is literally a festival about comedy and happiness. The Shakespeare-in-the-Park Festival takes place every year with free performances of Shakespeare’s most famous plays. If you have a taste for beer, be sure to visit the Festival Mondiale de la bier, a festival dedicated completely to beer and ale from all around the world – one festival had 340 different varieties from 130 different countries. Music and film festivals are hugely popular in Montreal, some of the most popular being the World Film Festival, the Montreal International Jazz Festival, POP Montreal International Music Festival, and Festival du nouveau cinema de Montreal.

In order to get the full experience of Montreal, there are some things you absolutely must do and some places you have to see. One of these places is Griffintown. Griffintown has so much history, evoking images of the seafaring culture that once populated Montreal. Griffintown effectively displays this history while still offering a new, modern feel. Hip antique shops and trendy art lofts can be found all over this neighborhood.

Another very interesting place to visit is Habitat 67, a living arrangement of box-like apartments constructed to provide the maximum living space for the highest efficiency. If you can, be sure to see a hockey game, as it is a vital hub in Canadian culture. The local Montreal team, The Montreal Canadiens, are the guys to cheer for. L’Oratoire St.-Joseph du Mont-Royal is a very old chapel built is a symbol of spirituality, and the frequent choral performances are enough to give you goosebumps.

This is only a small smattering of ideas to try when visiting Montreal. Just don’t forget your passports! If you need to apply for an expedited passport, be sure to check out those online services. They can get you a next day passport with no hassle, meaning you are ready travel at a moment’s notice.