Renewing Expired Kids Passports Step By Step Guide

Renewing expired kids passports can be a hassle but is necessary if your kids travel a lot. It is more difficult to renew a passport for a child than doing it for an adult. The US government requires the parents to show proof of custody and to present the child to an agent. To prepare for this procedure,parents must fill out a DS 11 form.

Proper Forms

The DS 11 form is a US passport application form that you can get at the proper agency or print it out from the Internet. Fill in the form from your computer print out or complete the form directly on the website and then print it out afterwards. Parents or a guardian will need to supply information about their child on the form.

Child’s Information

The name of your child, his or her date of birth, Social Security number, address and information about the parents are some of the facts you have to indicate in the form. After you supply all the necessary info on the form, place it in an envelope but do not seal it. Put the old and expired passport in the same envelope, too.


You will also have to include proof of your relationship to the child in the envelope such as a copy of your ID and the child’s birth certificate. The form must indicate both parents names like a US or foreign birth certificate or adoption decree. If these documents are not available, you have to get a court order that you have legal custody of the child.


If you are showing documents in a foreign language, you need to have the documents translated into English. You will also have to present a photocopy of each parents ID which could be a US drivers license or US passport. You can also use a naturalization certificate if you are an immigrant. A military or government employee ID is also acceptable.

Passport Photos

Place two passport sized pictures of your child in an envelope. The photos have to be no more than 5 months old. Tell the photographer that the pictures are for a passport. Place all of these documents in the same envelope and take it to an agent. You should also bring original documents of photocopies in case the agent would like to see the originals.


Do some research about current passport fees. You may be able to find the appropriate amount on the website of the passport agency. Bring the indicated amount of money when you submit the renewal form. There are a number of offices that can accept your passport application or renewal in your city. Find the locations of these offices on the Internet.

Once you locate a nearby office, both parents can take the child with the accompanying documents for an interview. If one parent cannot go with the child, the missing parent must fill out and submit a DS 3033 form that states your consent for your child’s passport renewal. Renewing expired kids passports will take several weeks to process. Expect the new passport in the mailbox.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply